For more than 20 years, Jonathan Jay has been buying and selling companies, reorganizing groups, acquiring competitors, and successfully completing buy-side and sell-side private equity transactions. He spends 90% of his time closing deals, and the remaining 10% is spent teaching others how to acquire and sell businesses. While Jay made his first business acquisition deal in 2006, selling one in 1999, it wasn’t until five years ago that he began teaching others how to do it effectively.
His journey to success started right after purchasing a group of companies from a private equity fund for £1. Jay, later on, sold it for £1 million in a matter of months. With this, a growing number of people approached him to explain how to replicate the same success in their own lives. So he did just that, and that one-time event grew into Dealmakers.co.uk, one of the world’s leading training institutions for individuals who desire to learn how to purchase a small business with no finances or risk.
Additionally, Jay offers an online three-day course through Dealmaker’s Academy. It helps clients grow their businesses without breaking the bank. The Business Acquisition FastTrack Programme streamlines the processes to help people avoid costly mistakes in building or acquiring a business and learn the ‘smart,’ risk-free ways of doing it. As a bonus, Jay motivates his clients with a support system that encourages them to stay on track against all odds. Jay provides a system where a community of like-minded people help each other in staying motivated.
According to Jay’s suggestion, acquiring another business is the quickest way to achieve your goals if you already own a business and want to grow. He advises that by doing so, you can grow your business faster and sell it for more money because business acquisition always beats slow, organic growth.
Furthermore, he claims that you can safely and smartly bypass years of experimentation, process development, and product testing – things that are part and parcel of business development. Jay’s advice to all is to invest in a well-established company that already has an office, employees, accounting systems, marketing strategies, and, most importantly, cash flow.
Jay has spent thirty-one years in business, and the first ten years were difficult because he was doing it the hard way. He was showing up to his office every day, managing staff (which, in his own words, “I’m not great at!”), and spending lots of money on advertising with little to show for it. For the first decade, it’s fair to say he didn’t earn any money.
Then he came across a fresh approach to doing business. Jay began buying other people’s businesses (for next to nothing) and merging them into one ‘super business.’ In November 2007, he sold the ‘super business’ to a Private Equity firm, becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and he hasn’t stopped doing so since.
Check out the Dealmakers Academy for information regarding various training and programmes offered by Jay to help teach everyone the most effective business acquisition skills.